Pages

My daughter said once that we have lots of adventures...so grew New Leaf Nickie, the blog intended to capture most of our adventures. If you've landed here, welcome to life with New Leaf Nickie on Havoc Hill Farm.







Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Foster Minnie


So, I got some pretty sad news last week.  I've previously posted that I foster dogs for Serendipity German Shepherd Dog Rescue and about Minnie, one of my fosters. Well, she didn't actually get adopted.  I thought she was, but as it turns out, she went to a training facility for extensive training.  She is an extremely shy dog who probably never had a human in her life who she could trust.  Despite her living with us for 7 months, she just couldn't learn to trust us either.  So, she went to a trainer's home in Belleville, IL.  After a month of living there, she escaped.  She was seen in the area for a couple of weeks, but hasn't been seen for over a week.  No one has been able to get close enough to her to catch her, which is pretty true to form for her.  She was like that with me as well.  If she would escape, it would take hours to get her back.

When I got the news, of course I felt guilty.  Guilty because I couldn't help her, and I couldn't keep her.  I wasn't able to get through to her, and I got to a point where I felt like I was doing her a dis-service by confining her all the time.  I hoped her new foster home would provide her with the ability to trust, but poor Minnie just couldn't find the courage to trust a human.  I know that she's a smart, street dog who has survival skills...but she deserves a warm bed to rest her head on at night without fear.  I hope she finds that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment