Pages

My daughter said once that we have lots of adventures...so grew New Leaf Nickie, the blog intended to capture most of our adventures. If you've landed here, welcome to life with New Leaf Nickie on Havoc Hill Farm.







Monday, February 15, 2010

I Helped Save 16 Lives on Saturday!

This is Marta and her fifteen puppies.  Yes, that's right, I said FIFTEEN!  15!  Can you believe this?  I've never, in my whole life, seen 15 puppies in one litter.  And, while Marta is a German Shepherd, she is a petite one.  Probably only weighed 50-60 lbs herself. 

I'm a small, teeny-tiny part of a much larger group of people across the United States that transports dogs from an animal control facility to a rescue.  In Marta's case, the poor girl found herself in a precarious situation.  She wound up in Animal Control in Monroe, Louisiana.  The problem was, she was VERY pregnant.  A rescue was found for her, but it was in Green Bay, Wisconsin...nearly 1000 miles away.  Poor Marta couldn't wait.  She gave birth before transport.  So, after only one week of giving birth to her brood, Marta left Louisiana early on Saturday morning.  I met her in Perryville at 5:15 pm.  She looked sad and broken.  She had no idea what was happening to her and to her new family.  There are so many puppies, they had to be separated into two groups so that all the babies could nurse.  I was heartbroken for her.  She had no idea what was happening to her.  To be swapped out of one car to another car every hour and a half or so must have been so confusing for her.  But I know that every person involved in this transport wanted the best for her.  I dropped her off in St. Louis to her haven for the night.  She spent the night in St. Louis and then started her final day's journey to a safe place where her puppies will grow and thrive and find their own forever homes.  Marta will never have to endure another pregnancy.  She, too, will find her forever home. If you'd like to follow Marta and her puppies, check out White Paws German Shepherd Rescue.

I get about ten emails a week asking for transport help.  I even help coordinate a local transport group in the St. Louis area.  If you can help by donating just a couple hours of time on a weekend, please let me know.  I can't begin to describe to you how good knowing you saved a life feels...an especially how saving 16 lives feels!

  Check out the baby panda that got mixed up in there!  Too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment