Pages

My daughter said once that we have lots of adventures...so grew New Leaf Nickie, the blog intended to capture most of our adventures. If you've landed here, welcome to life with New Leaf Nickie on Havoc Hill Farm.







Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Love Affair

Oh my gosh, where do I start…so much to update! Hmmm, I guess I’ll start HERE!


On March 31, 2010, my life changed. I took off work early that day to do my monthly yard duty at my kids’ school. It was the last day before Easter break. I should have known better and remembered what was waiting for me last year.  I should have just stayed at work. But I didn’t. What I did was succumb to this…

Tater Tot as a bitty baby

And so my love affair began. How could I possibly resist the incessant pleas of my children? How could I say no to such an adorable creature? It was simple. I couldn’t. And so began my love affair with not one, but five, baby bunnies.

Spooks as a baby, the only male of the group

It didn’t take long for them to outgrow the indoor sleeping arrangement. It didn’t take long for them to outgrow the temporary outdoor cages on my front porch. It didn’t take long for me to make special trips to the food store for just the right “greens” for them. And it didn’t take long for them to find a special little nook of my heart just for them. My sister, the one I used to chase around the house with a box turtle, even likes them. Yes, Tammy, I’m talking about you!

Fiver and Tater Tot "hiding" in the grass

Unfortunately, during our time of learning about keeping bunnies as pets, we learned a sad lesson. Apparently bunnies need A LOT of fiber…it’s what keeps them hydrated. If they don’t eat enough of their pellets and hay/alfalfa, they get dehydrated. We found this out too late to save our sweet, adorable Patches. He was the cutest of them all, but we (I) now know the proper feeding regimen to ensure the rest of the bunnies are happy and healthy.

People ask me what I’m going to with these bunnies and how I’m going to prevent the inevitable (you know what they say about bunnies…). For now, Spooks, our only male, stays quarantined from the girls. Who knows, maybe next Easter, YOU’LL be the one who can’t say no to the adorable face! Until then, I’ll continue my love affair while dreaming up ways to grow my little zoo and maybe even charge admission. :)

Rainy...don't tell the others, but she's my favorite!



You know, my kids think they outsmarted me the day I said, “Sure, we can have a bunny.” Secretly, I know the real reason these bunnies came to be our pets. My little nook needed fillin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment